Tamoxifen vs Arimedex (anastrozole) are essentially two competing drugs for the treatment of breast cancer. Both have their own type of specification as tamoxifen is a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), whereas Arimedex is an aromatase inhibitor. Tamoxifen vs Arimedex are both breast cancer treatment drugs that have been approved by the FDA. Both drugs have been proven to be effective in the treatment as well as prevention of cancer. However, before you take any of them, it is highly advised that you consult your doctor first and seek which would be a better treatment for you.
The battle between tamoxifen vs Arimedex is actually a continuous one as not only both drugs taken orally, but have a great history in helping to treat breast cancer – a disease that has plagued many women.
- Taking tamoxifen helps in reducing the early stages of breast cancer that are hormone-receptor positive.
- Reduces the size of hormone-receptor positive cancer of the breast prior to surgery.
- Treats advanced stage breast cancer, including breast cancer that is metastatic.
- Helps in treating postmenopausal women that have been diagnosed with early stages of hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer after surgery so as to reduce any risks in the cancer growing back.
- Postmenopausal women that have been diagnosed with advanced stage hormone-receptor positive breast cancer.
- Reduces the risk of the cancer in spreading into other parts of the body.
In the battle of tamoxifen vs Arimedex, it is up to your doctor to decide which treatment drug is best suited for you. Keep in mind that when you will be prescribed with any of the two drugs, you will need to take both diligently every day – at the very same time. For example, if you have taken your first dose at 8 P.M., then you should always take your medications at 8 P.M. as this has been the time that you have established taking the drug. Although there is really no exemption or reason why you cannot take your pill at 8 P.M. each time, if you do miss a treatment time, take your next pill as soon as possible and either adjust your time to that new time now, or still continue taking your pills at the usual time. Ask your doctor about this for the best possible treatment. The tamoxifen vs Arimedex battle is a very serious one so make sure you get your doctor to decide which one is best suited for you.
There have been many testing made to properly evaluate the better of the tamoxifen vs Arimedex drugs. Although Arimedex seems to take top spot, the scientists doing the review say the result of their test is non-conclusive as there are only a few numbers that separates the two. There is really no need for any second testing on proving which drug is better as really both drugs are really very capable of eliminating breast cancer if you follow your doctor’s directions properly. If you think you are developing breast cancer or have the high risk in developing one, consult your issue with your doctor so you can be properly prescribed with the ideal treatment for you.